Saturday, April 9

Terrific

It's such a beautiful word because it allows for multiple meanings at the same time and both meanings apply equally.

This summer, I've been endeavouring to pursue a different direction in my career. On the one hand, I have a terrific opportunity to learn and to grow, to build more confidence, self-esteem, drive, motivation, perseverance and other brilliant qualities that will contribute to a successful future. On the other hand, this career path is equally terrific as it petrifies me and efficaciously paralyzes me like that lamentable deer in the headlights.

I try to convince myself of all the great benefits that I have to gain from successfully weathering the adversity I'll most certainly face on this particular career path. Lucre is definitely not excluded from this particular list. But even with all of those great benefits shining in my mind, I still find myself standing on the highway, watching my doom approach as the fear
looms and prevails upon my mind.

What's really difficult is that I don't really know what it is exactly that I'm so terrified of. I mean, the opportunity is simply a summer sales job (and a dang good one at that), and there's not really anything to be significantly concerned about since it's unlikely I'll be shot or stabbed as a direct result of this employ. Furthermore, the worst that a potential customer can really say is "no" or, possibly "you're worthless." However, those things (at least shouldn't) really have any effect and are not terribly difficult to face. I've knocked doors before, and I'm not afraid of engaging people. Resolving complaints and concerns have been key skills necessary for past jobs. The weather is not terrible.

As far as I can see, there ought not to be any reason to be troubled by this opportunity. And so, left to my own devices, I strive to escape this paralysis before the approaching illumination decides to pay me a ruthless visit....

-N

No comments:

Post a Comment